Some of the advantages and disadvantages of the O visa or status include:
- O visa holders can work legally in the U.S. for the O visa sponsor. If, however, the worker wants to change jobs, a new visa is necessary.
- O visas can be issued fairly quickly.
- O visas will be granted for the length of time necessary for a particular event, up to a maximum of three years, with unlimited extensions in one-year increments.
- The O visa holder and family may travel in and out of the U.S. or stay continuously for as long as the visa stamp and status are valid.
- A spouse and unmarried children under age 21 may accompany the O visa holder, but they may not accept employment in the United States.