There is so much at a lodging property that can go wrong; maintenance employees are the first to respond when something needs to be fixed and kept in top shape. The Certified Maintenance Employee recognizes those professionals who know how to maintain the physical property, whether it is replacing faucets, fixing holes in the wall, or performing regular preventive maintenance.
The certification is supported by the START (Skills, Tasks, and Results Training) for Maintenance Employee. The online program presents general hospitality knowledge and soft skills needed in the hospitality industry, along with concise instructions for training new or prospective employees on how to perform 14 key tasks correctly. These include:
- Discussing the importance of OSHA regulations and person protective equipment
- Explaining the benefits of green initiatives for a property
- Summarizing the role of maintenance workers in property safety and security
- Listing common tools and how to prepare, inventory, and maintain them
The online program includes:
- Six-month online access to START program from date of purchase
- Access to first online certification exam (retake fees apply if exam is not passed on first attempt)
Successful candidates who complete the START for Maintenance Employee online program and pass the 30 multiple-choice questions certification exam with a score of 70% or higher will receive a Certified Maintenance Employee certificate.